We now have Satsuma mandarins for sale at our fruit stand. Satsuma Mandarins are sweet, juicy, easy to peel and usually seedless. Last week we stopped peeling persimmons for drying to make hoshigaki (Japanese hand-dried persimmon). We picked all of the hachiyas suitable for peeling, so what we have in the drying process now will constitute the rest of this year's supply.
If you'd like to order hoshigaki, please order as soon as you can because it looks like this year the supply will be limited. You can order hoshigaki either through our mail order form or by calling to reserve hoshigaki to pick up at the fruit stand.
Here's what's at the Fruit Stand now:
- Persimmons--Fuyu, Hachiya (soft), Maru (chocolate), Vodka-treated Hyakume, Hoshigaki (Japanese hand-dried persimmons)
- Mandarins--Owari Satsuma variety
- Asian pears--Okusankichi
- Apples--Fuji, Granny Smith
- Pomegranate-- White variety with sweet pink arils
- Walnuts and Pecans
- Winter squash--Butternut
- Herbs--Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Lemon Balm
- Bee products from bees at our orchard--raw honey, 100% beeswax candles
- Jam--The Good Stuff jams made with fruit from our orchard
- Eggs--Free-range local chicken eggs
- Placer County Master Gardeners Calendars
- Perfectly Persimmon Cookbook by Jean Brine