We have lots of varieties of apples right now, including Fuji, Crispin, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Northern Spy. We also picked lots of winter squash and pumpkins. There are some pumpkins already picked and at the fruit stand and a pumpkin patch where people can go out to and pick their own pumpkin. Peas and Harmony has some organic winter vegetable seedlings for sale at the orchard, too. There are broccoli, beets, Swiss chard, lettuce, mizuna, mustard, onions, thyme and other seedlings ready to be planted now into winter gardens.
Persimmons are not quite ready yet, only a few maru have been picked so far. People say that cold weather ripens persimmons, so maybe this week's cooler temperatures will speed up the ripening. We're expecting the first rain since June during the week this week, too. It's a bit early for rain but the weather's been unusual this year.
The next delivery from the Sierra Foothills Meat Buyers Club will be at our orchard from 3:30- 5:00 on Friday, Oct. 21st. Orders need to be received online by Friday, Oct. 14th at 5:00. Through the Sierra Foothills Meat Buyers Club you can order local naturally grown pork and lamb, grass-fed beef, pastured poultry, eggs and honey. The Placer County Real Food Cookbook can be ordered and delivered through the Meat Buyers Club, too. Monthly deliveries are at our orchard in Granite Bay, at Community Ink in Truckee and at Confluence Kitchen in Auburn.
Here's what's at the fruit stand now:
- Pumpkins (at the fruit stand and at the pumpkin patch)
- Apples--Fuji, Crispin (Mutsu), Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Northern Spy
- Asian Pear--Shinko, New Century, 20th Century, Olympic
- European Pear--Comice
- Figs--Black Mission
- Vegetables--tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash,eggplant, long beans, peppers, basil, oregano, mint
- Winter Squash--butternut, kabocha (various types), red kuri, buttercup, spaghetti squash, pie pumpkins
- Organic Winter Vegetable Seedlings
- Local Honey--from bees at our orchard, star thistle honey from Lincoln