Now at the fruit stand we have many kinds of persimmons for sale. There are lots of soft or softening hachiya and also maru, fuyu and vodka-treated hyakume. We've been busy peeling persimmons to dry for hoshigaki since the beginning of this week.
There was a good article recently about the orchard in the Sacramento Bee. In it there's a description of the different varieties of persimmons we grow and information about the history of the farm. A link to the article is here.
The pumpkin patch is open at the orchard now. If you come to the fruit stand, stop by and let us know if you want to go out and pick a pumpkin and we'll direct you out there.
Here's what's at the fruit stand now:
- Persimmons--Fuyu, Maru (chocolate), Nagamaru, Hachiya (soft and hard), Coffee Cake, Vodka-treated Hyakume
- Hoshigaki (Japanese hand-dried persimmon)--whole and strips
- Asian pears--Okusankichi
- Apples--Granny Smith, Fuji
- Pomegranate--White and Red varieties
- Vegetables--Tomatillos, shishito peppers, jalapeños, garlic
- Winter squash--Butternut, Kabocha
- Herbs--Basil, Oregano, Rosemary
- Bee products from bees at our orchard--honey, propolis, bee pollen, 100% beeswax candles
- Jam--The Good Stuff jams made with fruit from our orchard
- Eggs--Free-range local chicken eggs
- Perfectly Persimmon Cookbook--1004 persimmon recipes by Jean Brine
- The California Persimmon--a persimmon cookbook published by the University of California Cooperative Extension, Placer and Nevada Counties.