We now have a lot of fall fruit at the fruit stand. In the orchard a lot of fruits seem to be ripening early this year, including persimmons. We actually have some of all the varieties of persimmons picked already, even fuyu. The first few sticks of peeled hachiyas have started drying for hoshigaki, too.
White pomegranates are also at the fruit stand. The outside of white pomegranates are creamy yellow (sometimes with a pink blush) and the arils inside are pink, sweet and softer than those of red pomegranate varieties. Jujube is still being harvested too, so we have both more firm yellow to brown jujube and wrinkling brown jujube.
Nights and mornings have been cooler and feel more like fall, though it's still been in the 80's during the day. Fortunately, the smoky air from the King forest fire cleared last week.
Here's what's at the Fruit Stand now:
- Asian pears--Shinko, Olympic
- Persimmons--Maru (chocolate), Nagamaru, Coffee Cake, Fuyu, Hachiya, Vodka-treated Hyakume
- European pears--D'Anjou
- Apples--Granny Smith, Reinette Simirenko, Fuji, Pippin
- Pomegranate--White and Red varieties
- Vegetables--Tomatillos, red and green Jalapeños, Scotch Bonnet chiles, Shishito peppers
- Winter squash--Butternut, Kabocha
- Herbs--Basil, Oregano, Rosemary
- Hoshigaki--strips and whole
- Bee products from bees at our orchard--honey, propolis, bee pollen, 100% beeswax candles
- Jam--The Good Stuff jams made with fruit from our orchard
- Eggs--Free-range local chicken eggs